Being a happy person is something I continuously struggle with, but I’ve found some things that help me be happier. Hopefully they help you too.
- Try not to read into things.
We’re all guilty of reading into situations. It’s hard not to, but if you spend time thinking of the worst possible scenarios, it’s going to take a toll on your happiness.
- Stop doing things for people who don’t appreciate it.
I’m a bit of a people pleaser. I tend to do things that I believe will make other people happy. Most of the time my effort are appreciated, but when they aren’t it really makes me feel crappy. I know sometimes people are busy and they might not have time to thank you properly, but if you’re doing things for people who constantly take you for granted and don’t appreciate you it’s time to stop. Obviously if it’s your boss, that situation is a little different. You have to decide if that job is worth being unhappy for. When it’s someone else, please value yourself enough to step away and stop letting them take you for granted.
- Make time for yourself.We all have busy schedules. It’s important to set aside some time for yourself. If you’re always doing things for other people and never allow yourself to relax, it’s going to hurt you in the long run. So take some time out of your day to read a book, scroll through your favorite social media outlet, or take a bubble bath. Appreciate yourself and how hard you work!
- Don’t worry what other people think of you.
“A lion never loses sleep over the opinions of sheep” I love that quote. We live in a world where it’s really easy to worry what others think of us. But unless you’re a big celebrity, it’s pretty pointless. Think about it, how often do you spend thinking about one specific person? If you’re thinking about someone frequently, you’re not usually thinking about them negatively. Who cares what other people think of you? Worrying about the opinions of other people can make us feel bad about ourselves, but you’re probably not on anyone’s mind as much as you’d think.
- Surround yourself with people who support you and your dreams.
If you’re always around people who put you down and tell you that you can never reach your goals, you’ll never be happy. Find people that will support, encourage, and inspire you to do great things. Prove everyone who doubted you wrong.
- Take a deep breath, smile, and try again.
Just because you mess up along the way, doesn’t mean you won’t be successful. Don’t give up! Keep trying, you can do it.
- Be the best you. Believe in yourself!
If you set high expectations for yourself, it will lead you to behave in ways that will make those expectations come true. This is known as a self-fulfilling prophecy or the Pygmalion effect.
- Do what makes YOU happy.
This goes back to making time for yourself. Do things that make you happy, things that make you feel good about yourself and your life. Don’t let other people decide your fate. Choose a career that brings you happiness, do your thing.
- Learn to walk away from people and situations that threaten your happiness.If someone is continuously making your life horrible, cut them out. Ignore them. Nobody has to be in your life if you don’t want them there. You have to decide if that person is worth keeping in your life if they are constantly threatening your happiness.
In the wise words of a philosopher named Thomas Carlyle, “No pressure, no diamonds”. There is always going to be pressure. Pressure to do well, pressure to be perfect. Just remember, perfection isn’t real. You can survive the pressure and come out on top. Don’t be a rock, be a diamond.